Thursday, July 14, 2011

Life's Too Short

A few days ago the scariest thing happened and it will forever be etched in my mind. My son and I were driving on the interstate on our way home from Jacksonville. We were in the right lane and there was an Explorer a few feet in front of us in the left lane. All of a sudden the Explorer's tire blew and the person started swerving. The car came over into the right lane, hit the guard rail, and flipped about 3 times landing upside down. The car was pretty much crushed. It happened so fast, within only a few seconds. I immediately pulled over to help and the car behind me was already calling 911. Other cars stopped to help as well. As soon as the car stopped flipping and landed a guy crawled out along with his teenage daughter. I yelled and asked if anyone else was in the car. He then proceeded to get his wife out. Everyone was out and I was so relieved. I kept thinking how glad I was that there were no small children or babies in the car and that no one was trapped. The cops and rescue got there in about 10 minutes. The victims had blood all over their faces and I ran and got a blanket out of my car for the woman to apply pressure to her bleeding forehead. One woman that came to help before rescue got there was a nurse. Never in my life had my pulse beated that fast! And I also thought how grateful I was that I was CPR and First Aid certified. You never know when you're going to have to use it, that's why it's such a good idea for everyone to get certified.

After rescue had gotten there one of the cops got my information since I witnessed everything first hand. God was not only looking out for those people but He was also looking out for my son and I. If I had been driving a few feet further up the car would have ran us off the road and possibly flipped on top of us. It was literally something I have seen in action movies and I felt like I was on a movie set. I was just amazed at how the people crawled out of the car and got out so fast.

That experience taught me that life really is short and we never know what the future holds. Now I'm even more thankful for the small things in life and I don't take one single thing for granted. I've learned that there is power in people coming together and reaching out helping hands. God uses small situations as well as big in order to get our attention. Now more than ever do I have the desire to find a great church for myself and my son and to have a better relationship with Christ. Don't ever let the sun go down being mad or angry at someone and forgive with ALL your heart. Always hug your loved ones and tell them how much you love them. Say what you mean and mean what you say! Thank God for every breath you take! Angels are everywhere and it's up to us to recognize it. Be kind to everyone because you never know what a person is going through and it could be their last day on this earth.

2 comments:

  1. That takes my breath away! I can not imagine being so close to something so terrifying! Certainly it makes you hug your children tighter and thank God for every breath you take.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes Denae it was so scary! You're absolutely right...life is so precious!

    ReplyDelete